Topband: QRP/Poor antenna stations ARRL160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: QRP/Poor antenna stations ARRL160
From: jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 15:19:42 +0000
While not running QRP, my antenna in the ARRL 160 was loading up the rain
gutter on ourone story rental duplex in Lawrence, KS. Maximum height is about
10 feet above ground, a marginalTop Band antenaa at best. I set up to hand out
some contacts in the contest. Oddly, it loaded easilywith a MFJ tuner.   N0TT,
N0NI, W0SD, AA1K and about 80 other stations heard me, most on first or second
call Saturday night. Best DXwas probably KA6BIM/7 in Oregon. Good ops and
patient with the weak signal crowd. I found it easier to work stations after
mid-night as many of the big ops were hungry for QSOs. Butseveral stations were
not worked who kept calling CQ over and over with almost no time listening...

 - N0JK

Some harder than others.  W0SD gave my QRP signal a real good try early
in the evening, but couldn't get the exchange. I'll certainly try again
tonight.  N0TT and N0NI heard me almost right away, but it took some
repeats to get in their logs. They were my best DX last night. I worked
several NM stations, but WD5COV, even when on his 20 over S9 west-facing
TX antenna, never gave me so much as a QRZ for the several dozen times I
called, and had his auto CQ set for a very short recycle time.

If you're going to work weak signals, both sides of the QSO need
patience, operating skill, and good ears. There are FAR too many
alligators on the band. Doing the math, 20dB down from 1.5 kW is 15
watts, and a 5W signal would be S8. If your noise level is S8, IMO, you
have no business running 1.5kW! - K9YC