Re: Topband: one- way propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: one- way propagation
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 17:37:31 -0800
an added note/comment here

During the XZ0A expedition, I think we conclusively proved that:
1: Skew paths exist and are repeatable

2: the arrival angle of the signals is NOT reciprocal.

The arrival angle of the XZ0A signal as heard in the eastern/central US was reasonably normal, and extended into sunrise in the way we have generally come to expect, Direct angle measurements were, of course, not made, and are unlikely to be measurable except by inference.

The arrival angle of the signals from NA as heard at XZ0A were clearly and repeatedly very high. Beverage antennas did NOT hear the signals, whereas a very low dipole heard the signals fine, and repeatedly, night after night.

the point is that if we received exclusively on the beverages, we would have an apparent difference in signal strength of at least 15 dB - the apparent level of the signal arriving at XZ0A would be 15 dB less than the XZ0A signal as measured in NA, with comparable transmit ERP. TX was 2KW into a full size elevated radials quarter wave (a 200 ft tower with an insulator a quarter wave down from the top)

this TX level is comparable to many higher performance stations in NA and significantly less ERP than some stations with large TX arrays,

The noise floor was definitely an issue, us being in the middle of Asia, BUT, when there is 20 dB difference between the signal heard on ANY beverage, and the signal heard on a full size dipole at 10 ft, its pretty conclusive that the pattern of the antennas was a serious effect. The relative noise level heard on the dipole was still quite a lot higher than we would have liked- the Asia noise propagates at high angles as well as low ones, but was comparable to the beverage noise floor, less some directive effects

the point is, the path is NOT symmetrical. A number of complex explanations have been put forth, and I'm waiting for occams razor to slice down to the meat.

Robin Critchell, WA6CDR
(XZ0A XZ1N VP6DX)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>