Re: Topband: Shunt fed towers and common mode chokes

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt fed towers and common mode chokes
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 03:20:51 -0500
I'm with Tom on this one.   This is not a noise suppression problem

The placement up high on the tower means that the common mode path is
nearer a voltage node than a current node and we are talking about the kind
of voltage up top there that can destroy a 4000 ohm ferrite device.  As the
the resistance is increased, the voltage across it increases as well.  I am
personally well acquainted with destroying ferrite devices in this fashion.

As Tom suggests, isolate the switch from the tower.  On the shack side of
the switch where the phasing is not an issue, you can use 23 turns of RG400
tightly wound around a T300A-2 powdered iron toroid. Place a 500-600 pF
transmitting door knob from the coax shield on one side of the winding to
the other. This will create a self resonant choke with max up about 1.95 to
2 MHz.  Ground the shield on the shack side of the choke to the tower, and
at the base.  You can monkey with tuning against a given cap by adding or
subtracting turns through the toroid.  Pick the lowest point of resonance
that is above your operating range.  Wind it with an old piece of RG59 to
get the number of turns worked out and then use the RG400.

The RG400 is good for 7 kW, and with a 19 strand center conductor, is the
only high power coax rated for tight bends in aircraft wiring harnesses.

For the control cable, which doesn't  have extension beyond the box, about
half-way down, and at the bottom of the tower, loop as many turns as
possible through one of the huge #31 clamp-ons.

73, Guy.