Re: Topband: Length of 'T' Top Hat wires?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Length of 'T' Top Hat wires?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 01:23:01 -0500

> If I mis-interpreted the rule, I like to know what it means.

Many times the top hat wires are not horizontal but come down at an
angle like the top set of guy wires on a tower or vertical.

> Is there any theory to the "25% rule"?

The 25% rule says the ends of the top hat wires should not extend
more than 25% down the vertical.  The thought is that the wires
"shield" the main vertical ... that the currents on the top hat
wires cause cancellation.  Once the tips of the top hat wires get
25% down the vertical, the theory is that the cancellation/reduced
radiation resistance offset any gains from the added electrical
"height."

N6LF made reference to this phenomena in one of his studies -
unfortunately I don't have the link at hand but Rudy's site
is well worth exploring.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV