Topband: Fw: raised radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Fw: raised radials
From: "Robert King" <w3gh73@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:10:04 -0500
Subject: Re: Topband: raised radials

All the years I have been on top band, I can't recall ever hearing or working him - DXing on Contesting. With all his hardware on 160, surely sometime his presence would be evident other than the reflector... Anyone else?

Merry Christmas to all.

73 Bob W3GH

AMEN Tom, He Just is like the "Energizer Bunny". He keeps going on and on and
on.

73 and Happy Holidays Price W0RI

Or the person on here who went from an extensive radial system to a full screen claimed a 5dB improvement but now denys the possibility. Its in the TB archives
from 1998.

Carl,

Please try to stop that silly disappointing long-time practice of re-writing
what other people say just to start a fight.

I ****NEVER**** said I didn't measure a 5 dB change, or that some system changes
can't produce a 5 dB (or even a 30 dB) change when someone does something
terribly wrong in a system. What I am saying is:

1.) Your claim you felt you had a ~10 dB change, based on your feelings of how much a signal must change busting a pileup, when you added some screen to a system is pretty silly. It is a test at least days apart on sky wave with no data reference at all. It is typical junk science of the worse kind. If your original ground system did not have severe issues, the imagined "10 dB" would be
impossible.

2.) Broadcast stations use a screen as a connection point and mechanical
convenience, NOT to improve signal or effiency. The screen allows people to walk near the tower base without falling over wires, and it allows connecting boxes,
fences, posts, and other things into the radials no matter where they are
located near the base. They also usually use stone at the base, and
weedkiller...so we can't assume everything they do is for "signal reasons".

If you take some time to read FCC guidelines, the screen is actually optional. If you read Lewis, Brown, and Epstein, instead of misreading Topband archives,
you will see they ALSO said the screen does not when a adequate number and
length of radials is present.

Please stop the silly childish misrepresentations.

73 Tom