Re: Topband: condx last night

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: condx last night
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:47:18 -0600
Braco E77DX said:  > what a X-mas present from TB last night!
 > I had one of my best openings on TB to NA ever!
 Braco was S9 plus 20 db here in WV, stronger than most NA callers.   Huge
signal, loudest from EU but many others had good signals.   However, I could
not believe the spotlight opening here to 9K2MU.  At times, Murtada  was S9 on
my NE inverted L, several S units above the noise level.   Two or three seasons
ago I chased Murtada during several openings, but could not get through.  Last
season we caught a spotlight to 9K2HN (nothing like last night's opening) but
it was gratifying working Murtada after all this time chasing him.   9K2MU was
in here very strong for 20 to 30 minutes.  Spotlights don't usually last that
long for me.  It was really exciting to get an opening like this.  Almost 3
hours later the band opened here to ZS6EZ for another good catch, then about an
hour after that V5/DL3DXX was in here at his SR with a good signal.   These
were copied on my SE inverted L with signals well above the noise.
Yesterday morning 15M CW was exhibiting strong multipath on NE USA signals and
on some of the stronger EU signals.  NA signals were nearly impossible to copy.
  In fact, I could hear my own echoes on the transition from TX to RX.   The
echoes were strongest beaming straight east.   I don't suppose the 160 prop was
related in any way to the 15M prop but it is interesting the condx were
observed on the same day.  Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all.   Hope
for some more of this great propagation.  73 Chas  (Charlie) N8RRSouth
Charleston WV
Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.