Re: Topband: Short Bogs

To: topband List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Short Bogs
From: Gary and Kathleen Pearse <pearse@gci.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 16:00:21 -0900
> If we want to make an antenna electrically longer through cable velocity
> factor, it can't be done by the insulation slowing the wave inside the shield.
>
> 73 Tom

In my experience, external insulation (through synthetic covering or frost)
lowers the resonant frequency of wire antennas of a given length and height
above ground.

For example, I typically use 453/F as a starter length for insulated wire
dipoles...it's higher for bare wire of the same AWG diameter.

It may not be due to "velocity factor" (not sure of the reason), but it is
observable and repeatable.

73, Gary NL7Y
Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge coming on December 29th.