Re: Topband: RDF

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RDF
From: "Steve Flood" <kk7uv@bresnan.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:44:41 -0700
>IV3PRK wrote:
>Very interesting question Dave...I was just wondering why I never saw any
>comments on this "new" receiving >antenna design.  It has been published by
>KB7GF on QST Oct.2012 and on QEX Sept/Oct. 2012.
>It's quite different from the usual small loop types, flags,pennants, K9AY,
>etc...
>But contrary to these resistor loaded loops, which always want to work, this
>Shared Apex Loop looks like critical >and not so easy to build!

A fairly similar design, although quite a bit larger dimension, appeared about
10-12 years ago on the hardcoredx website.  It was 6 triangle loops arranged on
a mast.  Each loop 30 feet tall and 20 feet wide at the base, fed 60% from the
outer loop corners with 75 ohm coax through a binocular core transformer.  The
six feedlines were routed to a phasing control box at the base of the mast.   I
tried to build it in Oct. 2002 but could never get the phasing control to work
properly (I still have my notes).  I scrapped the project and built the
8-direction K9AY instead.  I am thinking of trying it out again next summer
using the KB7GF control circuit.

Steve KK7UV

Topband Reflector