Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

To: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:56:05 -0500
I said:

>The "Wullenwever" antenna was never a low-noise high performance antenna.
It was simply a system designed to find direction over a very wide frequency range. The multitude of elements increased bandwidth, but the physical width
in wavelengths is the primary determinant of directivity.

Lee said:

While I will agree that the Wullenweber antenna was never designed to be a low noise antenna, I fail to see why it is not. My copy of TM32-....... manual on the US version shows some pretty good directivity specs. On the low band
starting at 2 MHZ the beamwidth was 11 degrees with the side lobes down a
minimum of 18dB. The maximum elevation was 30 degrees. Also the range
specified was 4000 nautical miles. And its outer element diameter was
1116 feet.

The sharpness comes from the wide area.

The 48 low band elements were 35 feet tall with a 120 foot tall
reflecting screen.

The 48 elements primarily give it bandwidth. With an 1100-foot array width, the 160 meter element spacing only needs to be about 300-400 feet. That's only three to four elements necessary, with three to four more (spaced 35-130 feet back) to make it unidirectional.

160-80 meters would double the number of elements.

It is the broadside area that gives us a narrow pattern, and the number of elements in that area that gives us the bandwidth. We can't let spacing get too wide between broadside elements. There is a chart here:

http://www.w8ji.com/stacking_broadside_collinear.htm

The more elements we use, the wider the allowable spacing in wavelengths.

Our limitation, at least for low-band use, is our available space and the phase differences in signals a few wavelengths apart along the ground. Watching phase difference between elements spaced 2-wavelengths apart is interesting. I've found it quite possible to have an array too large for 160 meter skywave because of constantly changing phase differences at wide spacings.

I'm sure a 1200-foot wide array would not be nearly as useful as the pattern might lead us to believe. I have to break things spaced that wide into cells that I run in stereo.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector