Topband: Genius I tells ya, pure Genius

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Genius I tells ya, pure Genius
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 21:37:32 -0500
So here we go, The first VU2 I've ever heard on TopBand and I can
hear him faintly but clearly.
Turn amp on, check.
Switch to 160 INV-L, Check.
Switch in dummy to set amp, check.
Flip bandswitch to 160, Check.
Roll Tune cap to right area, check.
Adjust load to right area, check.
Adjust the HI-Z array to pick up his signal as clearly as possible,
check.
Fiddle with sub Rx in the K3 for best clarity with narrow filtering,
check.
wait for 3 minutes to pass & the tubes are nicely heated amp engaged,
check.
Adjust for 1,300W on the LP100A, Check.
Wait for the VU to listen for the next call and pounce when the
timing seems right, check.
Nada. Trying again, nada.
Try 20 more times trying to improve my pounce timing, nada.
His signal fading, amazing how well the Rx ant is picking him up,
fidgeting in chair, moderately frustrated, check.
Look at antenna switch & see Dummy load is still engaged, check.
Chastise self with a 5 letter word starting with I & ending with T,
check.
Disengage Dummy and connect to the 160M INV-L, check.
First shot & he comes back to me & now in the bag, check.

Calling DX on your dummy load means there are two dummys in the
shack...

Looks down, shuffles feet...

73,

Gary