Re: Topband: Elevated Radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 11:58:11 -0500 (EST)
No science here, just an experience

Played in the ARRL DX in both the CW and SSB.  With 100W and an  elevated
GP for my vertical.

The wire vertical is held up by a caternary between two towers and is a
T-top at the top...about 40 foot used for the T at an apex at around 160
feet,  The base of the vertical is at around 40 to 50 feet.  The  antenna uses
4
radials spread out roughly 90 degrees to each other  and slope down to
about 20 or 30 feet on the ends.

Last night I worked every station except  an EA and a PA that was  spotted
on the cluster for 160 SSB while I was on (24 countries).  Not too  bad for
100W in an SSB contest.  Sometimes I got through on the  first call over big
guns with a KW.  Most of the time had to bide my time  until K3LR, W3LPL
and other  big guns worked them but no surprise  there.

I had a similar experience in the ARRLDX CW...52 countries worked with 100
watts and the elevated radial system.

I'm not saying it works as well as a 4 -square but it does work.  It  beat
burying miles radials in my really crappy sandy soil.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS

Topband Reflector