Re: Topband: gentlemen's band

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: gentlemen's band
From: Bert Barry <bertbarry@xplornet.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:33:44 -0400
Right on Mike,

About two or three years ago there was a distinct deterioration of operational courtesy on what had been known as the Gentleman's Band. This was noted by an number of posts to this reflector. Again, there was an obvious explanation, although I don't recall it being mentioned. The reason for the bad behavior was caused by the immigration of frustrated HF'ers to 160, which was then in great shape for DX. The improvement over the next couple of years coincided with the (anemic) return of sunspots, which encouraged these migrants to return to their "home" bands.

However, there are still occasions of poor behavior. In many cases this is purely accidental , such as this morning when, still half asleep, I sent my call two or three times on the frequency of 9M4SLL. This was answered by a single gentlemanly "up", whereupon I 'silently stole away', feeling like a fool. My embarassment was lessened a few minutes later by a much more prominent top-bander making the same mistake with the same courteous result. No cacophony of "up lid", "idiot", "cops QSY", etc. etc.

Bert,  VE3QAA