Re: Topband: Using GE silicone as antenna sealant.

To: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>, "wa3mej@comcast.net" <wa3mej@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Using GE silicone as antenna sealant.
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:25:54 +0000
After several less than satisfactory experiences with various outdoor sealed
boxes and junctions etc. I have had my ladder line, transmit antenna, and all
junctions completely exposed to the weather for the past 4 years with no
problems.

The problem was never as bad as the corrosion due to sealant, but I found out
that what was happening was that I was sealing water in! Obviously I was doing
something "wrong" but many of these containers had no lead-ins or holes in the
top, only sealed lead-ins with drip loops at the bottom.

I briefly had a NEMA rated junction box with watertight cover and seal over the
spark gap, but after water started accumulating in there, I simply removed the
cover. Every fall I go blow the leaves and bugs out.

On the receive antenna side... My K9AY relay board and termination resistor are
covered by a Tupperware dish but are exposed at the bottom. I had made a brief
attempt at sealing them inside the Tupperware but despite drip loops and all
the wires entering only at the bottom... I found water accumulating in the
Tupperware even though I swear it hadn't rained since I had installed it. I
don't have any fancy conformal coating or anything on the K9AY
relay/transformer/termination board.

Tim N3QE