Topband: CABLE TV HARDLINE

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CABLE TV HARDLINE
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 15:59:01 -0700 (PDT)
Mike - I suspect that none of the following will apply to you but FWIW:

I have had some problems with joints in very long runs (>2000') of hardline -
using the 'proper' CATV connectors. The hardline that I have uses an aluminium
outer and a solid copper inner - most use a copper plated aluminium inner these
days. It gets very cold here in the winter, and the copper inner contracts a
lot more than the aluminium outer. I have had a couple of occasions (including
this winter) where the contraction has been sufficient to pull the inner out of
the connector - Bingo! 12 dead Beverages. The first time it happened some years
ago I was advised (on this reflector) to bend the hardline into an S shape on
either side of the joint. Of course I eventually forgot that good advice and
paid the price.

The VE1ZZ technique (hose clamps inside an upturned pop bottle) may not be
elegant but it does keep working. As would your connection box.

73 Roger
VE3ZI
All good topband ops know fine whiskey is a daylight beverage.
Topband Reflector