Re: Topband: PHASING SHUNT FED TOWERS

To: 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: PHASING SHUNT FED TOWERS
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 04:31:53 -0400

On 5/31/2013 12:43 AM, Tree wrote:

K6SE was the first guy I saw doing this - with much shorter towers than
mine.

Somewhere in my files I have a copy of a four-page letter Earl sent to K2UU describing in detail the K6SE phased towers -- one of the few multielement transmit arrays in use on the band in those days (1970s-80s).

If I recall correctly, they were HDBX style 64-foot self-supporting towers spaced about 80 feet. One had a large tribander on it, and the other a 2-element shortened 40-meter yagi. Earl described how he raised and lowered the 40-m. beam on its mast till that tower resonated at the same spot as the other one. He used identical shunts and a coax delay line to achieve the correct phasing. His letter included a formula for calculating this delay line based on the distance between the towers.

This played quite well. We chatted many a night and Earl would flip the switch and I'd see 25 db f/b or so.

73/Jon AA1K
Delaware
All good topband ops know how to put up a beverage at night.
Topband Reflector