Re: Topband: RX antenna transformer winding (pure resistance transformat

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RX antenna transformer winding (pure resistance transformation issues)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 16:15:22 -0700
On 8/20/2013 1:00 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
By squeezing or spreading turns to change mutual coupling between turns, a T157-2 core can have almost 2:1 impedance shift! That tells us it has considerable flux leakage.

So-called "self-shielding" and it's inverse, leakage flux, also depend on permeability, which in turn depends on the material and the frequency of interest. Fair-Rite data sheets for their materials clearly show the variation of permeability with frequency.

And when we squeeze or spread turns we are also changing stray C of the winding.

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector