Re: Topband: More anecdotal "stories" to cause one to stop and....

To: Ashton Lee <Ashton.R.Lee@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: More anecdotal "stories" to cause one to stop and....
From: Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 13:54:22 -0700
Ashton, thanks.  I DO have  EZNEC and know how to use it pretty well (that is
to say, I have used it to provide what-if results for antennas that are a bit
more complex than a simple dipole..... like 4 element vertical phased arrays
and antennas of that nature).  I definitely don't want to waste alot of copper
or aluminum on a "dog," if I have an idea that may or may not be a great idea.
I do check my modelling results by comparing those results to the results of
others who have modelled the same antennas so that I know I am doing it
correctly.  Obviously, the ones I am comparing against could be wrong, but if
they are there are a number of people, who have been published, making the same
mistakes..... he he he.

I will definitely try the overlay idea out.  That is one thing I hadn't done,
but rather look at and compare the printed data in tabular format.  I DO like
the idea of normalizing the data and looking at it graphically...... as they
say, a picture is worth a thousand tables...... lol.

Thanks for the input, too.  It makes good sense, although the concept of the
antenna being heard well at long distances, while attenuating high angle
signals on receive seems to fly in the face of "low height" receive-only
antennas being a "good idea."  ON THE OTHER HAND, I know that low receive
antennas produce a decent signal not so much by enhancing the signal strength
(because they don't do that), but by increasing the system signal to noise
ratio which is certainly at least as important as gain, if not much more so.
"Gain" enhances noise along with the desired signal, as anyone who has spent
more than 5 minutes listening to 160 knows (without a doubt..... he he he).  So
comparing the two antenna types (xmit and rcv) is mixing apples and oranges
since the requirements for each are separate and somewhat distinct.  At least.
that seems to be the case on 160/80 and 40 (to a lesser degree).  Actually, I
have used low noise receive antennas on 40 with incredible success.  I c
 all it incredible simply because I would go from hearing absolutely no signals
due to the noise level, to hearing a band full of signals, all of which were
definitely strong enough to work (and then some).  Summer in  AZ and the wet
season in tropical locations like Guam, Yap, PI and even Hawaii were incredibly
noisy, as all of you know without a doubt.  Even a simple hand-rotatable
"magnetic loop" antenna makes all the difference in the world.  I go from
nothing but static crashes, and gawd knows what else, to a "nice" listening
experience (defined as: the noise doesn't overrun signals and I don't get a
headache after a few hours of listening..... lol).

Again, thanks Ashton..... and thanks especially for the "overlay" idea.  An
idea so simple that I passed right over it.... :) :)

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

On Sep 9, 2013, at 11:54, Ashton Lee <Ashton.R.Lee@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> When you model an inverted L with say a 60 foot vertical section and 64 foot
> horizontal run you get an antenna where the pattern looks pretty nice. Lots
> of low angle radiation. A pretty big hole in the vertical pattern.
>
> But then if you overlay the two models you see something very strange. The
> Total radiation of the horizontal antenna (against normal ground, not sea
> water) is so much better that its effective radiation at low angles is about
> the same as the vertical. At most it's down 6 dB at 5 or 10 degrees depending
> on ground conditions, radial fields etc. When I model it I actually see less
> than this difference in my location.
>
> So the fact that you can be heard by DX on a low horizontal isn't all that
> amazing. You have to have a pretty ideal vertical set up to beat it by a lot.
>
> The real problem is that the low horizontal may not hear DX very well because
> it favors high angle radiation and the low angle inputs are a lesser part of
> the total reception. Receiving antennas fix that.
>
> I think the bigger problem with horizontal antennas on 160 is that next to no
> one really has the room for them.
>

> On Sep 9, 2013, at 12:23 PM, Mike Armstrong <armstrmj@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Same here, guys.  Please do reply here and if someone "already knows
>> everything," they need not even read the thread, right?  LOL.  I have heard,
>> but don't know if it is a common mode of propagation or if it is very rare,
>> like LDEs on 15...... They do happen, but it is as rare as hen's teeth.  I
>> have heard it 3 times on 15 that I am aware.... But I digress, the mode I am
>> wondering about, and it might explain why even I with a low horizontal on
>> 160 have worked some decent DX (Chile, Japan, several Carib countries, and
>> some pacific islands)..... Is "ducting" a common propagation mode on 160?
>> If it is, that could explain ALOT when it comes to high angle radiators
>> working DX that they probably shouldn't even hear with such a setup.
>>
>> Any thoughts from those who would like to talk about the subject of high
>> angle radiators (even NVIS), ducting and DX?  Quite honestly, during one
>> particular 160 contest a couple of years ago, I worked 11 countries (all new
>> for me) all over the place except europe...... As strange as it seems, those
>> were the only countries that ANYONE in my area was hearing or working.  So
>> here I was working the same DX stations that some guys with really decent
>> 160 antennas were working, but MY antenna was anything but ideal........ 300
>> foot long OCFD (fed about 20 feet in from one side) and, this is the kicker,
>> it is only up 50 feet in the air on one side and 40 feet on the other side
>> (available trees, one of which is on my neighbor's property..... but she is
>> my mother in law, so no legal issues there.... lol).  So how is it that I
>> was working these stations with the same amount of effort as the guys who
>> had "ideal" antennas, like full sized 1/4 wave verticals over an EXTENSIVE
 ld.
>>  It was a very pleasant surprise, but not expected at all.
>>
>> On later dates,I would hear people in the same areas of the world, but no
>> matter how hard I tried, not able to work them..... although I HEAR them
>> quite well on that antenna (it seems to be fairly low noise).  Something has
>> to be "up," but I will be darned if I can figure it out..... unless there is
>> some prop mode that is common to 160  and isn't on other bands where this
>> type of antenna "scaled" in length and height would suck 100 percent of the
>> time...... LOL.  Well, maybe not 100, but often enough that EVERY antenna
>> book would say "get it higher in the air....  ALOT higher"
>>
>> Thoughts from experienced 160 folk?  Again, only those interested in talking
>> about this subject need respond. :) :)
>>
>> Mike AB7ZU
>>
>> Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka

>>> Please reply on the list. I'm interested, too. My own suspicion is there
>>> are parts of propagation that are not very well understood if at all and
>>> those bits are pointed out by what happens with real antennas as opposed to
>>> theoretical antennas. That does not dismiss the theories.
>>>
>>> I'm taking baby steps here and I am permanently limited by my postage stamp
>>> lot but we have all read testimony about success from small lots (and with
>>> low power). I'm cornering the parts to build a 'meter' that will give me
>>> information about the antennas I already have so that I might make them
>>> perform "mo bettah" - if I know whether to turn left or right when I get
>>> some 'numbers'.  Just like Jim, I am not interested in stirring up any
>>> pots. It's pretty easy with a 40 meter dipole antenna to just go outside
>>> and cut off all the parts that don't work. 160 meters (or 600 meters)
>>> doesn't lend itself to that simplicity - if nothing else because of size.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> Bill  KU8H
>>> Topband Reflector
>> Topband Reflector