Re: Topband: 3B9EME

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 3B9EME
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:04:28 -0500
Your point is well taken. If I sounded like I was being unappreciative
and/or critical of them, I didn't mean to be.

I think their main objective was EME, and 160 was kind of an afterthought.
However, a simple hunk of wire thrown on the ground oriented NW-SE with a
simple matching transformer (and a few short radials) would likely be a
real improvement over what they seem to have. That's all the very first
Beverage antenna was.

I kind of felt sorry for them. They had a decent 160 signal to the east and
central USA, but they couldn't seem to hear many stations on that vertical,
even after calling CQ for a long time.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM, VE7MID <ve7mid@telus.net> wrote:

> From experience, it is easy to say, "put up a beverage". I went to 7P8D
> with
> the idea that would be the set-up but, on site, it was impossible. There is
> a difference between having years to set up a station and days with limited
> material to accomplish an effective low band station.
>

> We will have conducted two site visits and are planning for contingencies
> for 3DA0ET. It is annoying to be criticized by comfortable "base" stations
> for efforts on top band where we must depend for the assistance of others
> put up a top band antenna system which takes more time than their muti-band
> high qso rate stations! Be appreciative of the efforts of others to provide
> you with a "new one"!
>

> 73 Keith

> Topband Reflector

Topband Reflector