Re: Topband: The Quest to save AM radio

To: "Brad Rehm" <bradrehm@gmail.com>, "Bill Cromwell" <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The Quest to save AM radio
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 19:40:33 -0400
But we should clear up a potential for misunderstanding here. When we talk about allowing the noise floor noise to rise, this suggests broadband noise
emissions limits would be raised.  Typical sources of this kind of noise
are switching power supplies, digital devices, and UWB communications
devices.  Last time I checked, Ultra-WideBand systems are required to be
bandwidth-limited (using simple filters), and they typically raise the
noise floor in the UHF and higher parts of the spectrum. So power supplies
and digital devices (computers, routers, etc.) would be the main culprits,
but I don't understand how you could exempt ham receivers from a rule
concerning them.  Nothing can be exempted from noise that covers up
everything.

The linked article does not make much sense to me in perspective of HF down to the AM band and lower.

The most common sources of noise, by far, are switching power supplies.
A distant second are digital devices connected to long cables or large wiring systems.

Of all the devices that cannot bother 160 or HF, or especially AM BC, smart phones and other digital handheld devices are near the very top. They are so small and have such low power they would not likely be noticed if hanging right on our antennas.

I agree with other comments that the real issue, and it has been an issue since the 1980's, is lack of enforcement. We wanted deregulation and the Government out of our business, and certainly we got what we wanted with the FCC. :-)

73 Tom
Topband Reflector