Re: Topband: Hairpin Matching Coil Questions - BTW

To: "'Jim GM'" <jim.gmforum@gmail.com>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Hairpin Matching Coil Questions - BTW
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:12:21 -0400
BTW, Jim

The fact that you can't get the feed-point resistance above 27 ohms, sounds
like you are just looking at the driving-point resistance of the inverted L
in parallels with the inductance of the matching coil, that is large enough
that it's out of the picture.  Can you use a grid-dip meter to see where the
inverted L is resonant with the matching coil in place?

Also, a toroid core for the matching coil would be a really bad idea for two
reasons:

1. At full power on 160, there would be several amps of RF current flowing
through the matching coil. That makes core saturation rather likely.

2. Even without core saturation, you would be burning power heating  the
toroid core, creating losses that you don't need.

73.
Charlie, K4OTV