Topband: Low dipole for receiving

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Low dipole for receiving
From: Brian_ve7jkz <ve7jkz@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:38:35 -0700

I've been looking at a very low dipole to hopefully assist in receiving. Living in suburbia space is limited but thanks to a helpful neighbor I could put up something in the shape of an L. I would have a 90ft straight length, then the feedpoint, then a 30ft straight length, a 90 degree turn, followed by another 60 ft straight length. Total length of 180ft approx. Running along the top of the garden fence approx 6ft high.

EZNEC 3 tells me that at 1.83Mhz the feedpoint impedance would be 0.65-j590, and at 3.52Mhz it would be 1.7+j510. How do I match it? I could always use a relay to switch in some L for 160m and some C for 80m, then a transformer to get to close to 50 ohms, then a high pass filter because I'm only a few hundred yards from a 50kW BC station on 690Khz, followed by a W7IUV amplifier.

Is this a reasonable approach or is there a better/simpler way?

Brian VE7JKZ

Topband Reflector