Re: Topband: location

To: Greg Hill <kd8uxe@suddenlink.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: location
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 07:31:08 -0600

During the summer of 2011 I came across a website hosted by
Simone Mannini, IW5EDI, of Firenze, Italy, that featured a “160 meter antenna
for a small lot.”  The information and
picture, supplied by Troy Martin, K5CBL, of Madill, Oklahoma, intrigued me. For
details on the IW5EDI antenna,
visit his website at <http://bit.ly/1890Ay0>.
 Thinking,
“Why not?,” I assembled the “small lot” antenna, found five 75’ foot wires to
use as counterpoises/radials, erected the antenna temporarily outside my shack
and ran the five counterpoise wires along the back patio deck and out on the
front yard.

I connected
the antenna to my venerable ICOM 735, keyed it up and found the SWR, without a
tuner, was 1.3:1! It was Miller Time! Cranking
the power down as low as it could go – and inserting a quickly-assembled 2db
in-line attenuator – I entered the 2010 CQ WW 160 Meter Contest in the QRP
category. At the end of the contest, I had garnered 182 QSOs, 37 multipliers
and 3 (count ’em, THREE) DXCC multipliers.
There ya go - quick, easy way top get on 160 and have some fun!

72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV

> From: kd8uxe@suddenlink.net
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:35:53 -0400
> Subject: Topband: location
>
> look me up on qrz I need help trying to get on 160 meters.

> Topband Reflector

Topband Reflector