Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorterversions??

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorterversions??
From: Niko Cimbur <ac6dd@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:37:21 -0700 (PDT)

In the early 90's N6KB and I tried a 5/8 wl Vertical on 160m.
It was a wire vertical supported by a helium balloon and spaced several hundred
feet from a permanent 1/4 wl Vertical.
Both antennas had a similar, extensive radial system and they were both over
average ground.
We did many A/B comparisons during that contest weekend.
We were shocked to find that the existing 1/4 wl performed better than the much
taller Vertical.
This was around 1992 so we did not model anything but actually tried it.
After this the 5/8 antenna was never tried again.

Recently I have been having some toughts about again trying a 5/8 vertical just
for the fun of doing it.
Actually I am thinking about setting up a few Vertical antennas of different
sizes,
maybe four of them and do a comparison of their actual performance over very
good ground.
They would be sized from a 5/8 wl vertical down to a short whip.
All of them would be set up about 1/2 mile or so out over the Ocean.
I already have a permanent 60' tall bottom loaded vertical there.

I am not interested in making contacts, just receiving signal reports.

Nothing permanent, this would be a one time deal.

I am wondering if there is any interest in participating in this.

Any Suggestions are welcome.

Niko AC6DD
Topband Reflector