Re: Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo bettathanshorterversions??

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo bettathanshorterversions??
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 18:03:49 -0400
Why would anyone use significantly more power to get a job done using a low angle, when the same job could be done with a higher angle and less power?

** If that higher angle has excessive path loss then the lower one stands a good chance of getting thru even though it starts at a launch loss disadvantage.

That still makes absolutely no sense. The 5/8th wave is virtually never better for overall operation, DX or not, and most of the time is a real noticable dog.

Why would someone use a "dog of an antenna" when that antenna costs more, and has a poorer signal under almost any condition?

** It might to the few who feel that power rules are only for the other guy and working a new country, contest multiplier, or playing king of the hill, is the only goal that counts. Tubes with handles are readily available to those with something as small as an ALS-600, AL-80A/B, etc, as a driver.

So let me see if I have this right. You think someone who wants to be loud should intentionally uses a worse antenna just so they can run more power to overcome the weakness they created by using the poor antenna.

That makes no sense.

Topband Reflector