Re: Topband: topband for k3 users

To: topband List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: topband for k3 users
From: Gary and Kathleen Pearse <pearse@gci.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:51:14 -0800
I'll add another comment regarding BCB interference. Common mode filtering on
the antenna feed, cabling, and an excellent station ground is critical to its
reduction regardless of rig.

Having lived for years 500' from an AM station's antenna (with 10-50KW and
almost half the ground plane missing), I have some experience in these matters.
That tower is now gone which finally opened up 80 and 160M for me. I've put
ferrites on everything which helped. Common light bulbs rarely lasted a month,
and music could be heard on several appliances.

The night the tower was taken down I stayed up until 2 AM to observe and
celebrate the event. I've kept a few guy insulators and steel tower components
as mementoes and door stops.

Today there are three AM stations within 3-7 miles reportedly running 10KW. I
hear none with the TS-590S on any band (unlike some YAESU's I've owned),
including the stations' harmonics. Maybe I need bigger antennas?

73, Gary NL7Y
Topband Reflector