Topband: Delta Loop Match

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Delta Loop Match
From: D Rodman MD <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 17:40:05 -0400
Looking for some help matching my 160 loop. I made three changes to the system this year and the VSWR has increased to about 2:1 at resonance which is about the same frequency. Here is what I have.

The antenna is fed at a convenient point up from a bottom corner and is hung apex high at about 140 feet. I have a series match with a 75 ohm line that is about 20' or so from the feed point. The horizontal portion is pulled about 20' away from the lower portion of the tower. I designed the impedance of the antenna for 100 ohms pure resistance using MININEC and the system has been in place for about 15 years. I don't know of any damage anywhere on the antenna.

Here is what I changed this year. I built the 80 4-square nearby. The two closest elements are about 40 ft away. The loop was shorted to the tower at the apex due to proximity to one of the guy positions (all Philystran). It was just moved a few weeks ago. I found bad series coax filled with water and it was replaced during the summer. I used the antenna for the first time over the weekend for the contest.

Basically, I would like some guidance on how to MEASURE feedpoint R and X. I have never been able to do so with a standard antenna meter. I presume this is either because the induced voltages on the antenna from the BC band are higher than the signal transmitted by the box or it is not happy with the closed loop configuration. If I knew the feedpoint R and X, I would be able to calculate a better match and construct it.

It looks to me like a lower Z antenna needs a shorter series match moved farther from the feed point and a higher Z is a longer line moved closer to the feedpoint. I haven't put a quarter wave 75 ohm at the feed. On site I have lots of test equipment, including a service monitor, spectrum analyzer and a network analyzer. I can put my portable transceiver close to the antenna if I need to.

Thanks for any help.

--
David J Rodman MD
Assistant Clinical Professor