Re: Topband: 160m/80m duoband vertical question

To: "<herbs@vitelcom.net>" <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m/80m duoband vertical question
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 15:17:31 +0000
Hi Jim

I use a telescoping fiberglass pole with a 34 foot wire inside for 40 meters
and run a 23 foot wire up the outside for 30 meters with both wires connected
together at the base and fed there against ground radials.  It works fine.
Seems like a "scaled up" version for 160 /80 ought to work and I don't think it
would matter the 160 portion is sloped.

Good luck!

Bob AA6VB
>> On 11/5/2013 10:27 AM, Jim Garland wrote:
>> My 160m vertical is 79ft high (wire running up a 26m Spiderbeam fiberglass
>> pole), with a capacity hat. Is it workable to put an 80m 1/4 wave wire on
>> the same mast join both antennas at the base, in the same way people make
>> multiband fan dipoles? The idea would be that when operationg on 80m, the
>> 160m antenna would present a high Z, and vice-versa when operating on 160m.
>> I don't have a feeling for how much interaction there would be between the
>> two wires, separated by only a couple of inches. Another option would be to
>> electrically isolate the wires and select one or the other with a relay.  If
>> possible, I'd like to avoid matching networks and complicated switching
>> arrangements, because the antenna is 700 ft from my station. Any advice is
>> most welcome.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Jim W8ZR

>> Topband Reflector