Re: Topband: Local noise source identification

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Local noise source identification
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 17:44:20 -0500
On 11/09/2013 05:15 PM, Rick ve3mm wrote:
I am looking for suggestions to help identify a local noise that I am
experiencing on topband.

It's characteristics are;
- bandwidth approximately 15 kHz
- amplitude relatively constant
- centre frequency seems to vary in small steps over time, no real pattern.
- right now the centre frequency is 1819 kHz, it moves up and down up to 7
or 8 kHz.
- does not seem to be present during the day. At least not this afternoon.

I shut down all of the circuits in my house other than my shack and it did
not disappear.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

73

Rick ve3mm
Topband Reflector

Hi,

I live in a four season "resort and recreation area". Many of the 'neighbors' live far, far away and come here for short weekennds, long weekends, holidays , and vacations. When the population goes way up, mostly on the weekends, the intruding noises are almost sure to increase. Sometimes they wipe out parts of several bands and may last the entire "vacataion'. Often, all or some of the interfering junk quiets when the visitors go to bed. I have been seeting up to operate on battery power during power outages. It's amazing how quiet the bands get when *THAT* happens <evil grin>.

Short answer - yes - I have a signal just like that here. Probably a few others too. Ain't it wondeful?

73,

Bill  KU8H
Topband Reflector