Re: Topband: BOG antenna

To: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG antenna
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:03:37 -0500
Interesting timing Bruce!

Last week I had noticed my NW/SE 2 wire Beverage acting funny, poor F/B in particular along with it being noisy.

It turned out to be the ground rod clamp had loosened, the screws doing the clamping and holding the #12 wire were completely rusted. This rod had been in the ground about 23 years and had been used on a different single wire Beverage.

In addition the rod was actually quite loose and the clamping itself rather corroded. Ive alternated over the years between soldering to the rod or clamping purely due to having one on hand or having to make a 15 mile round trip to HD. In this case the 2nd rod is soldered. The rod is a utility grade with no rust anywhere and with the clamp wire brushed, and SS hardware performance is as expected.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>