Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 06:01:05 -0600
Anything is possible, but I know what I used and saw, Tom. It was a small
squeeze tube labeled "silicone dielectric grease".

I was the only person that serviced electronic equipment in that company
where I worked full-time. I put that stuff on an expensive feed rate switch
on an Allen-Bradley CNC mill control, after replacing that switch a number
of times. Very soon afterwards (a few weeks instead of perhaps a year), the
operator called me over to show me the problem with that switch. I know
what I saw, and I am convinced that it is abrasive. That grease accelerated
the failure of that switch by a tremendous amount.

I should point out that that switch got manually rotated throughout its
full range many times per day by the machine operator.

"According to Permatex's own information Dielectric Tune-Up Grease contains
up to 10% (by wt) of silicon dioxide (silica). This is a very effective
abrasive, and although Permatex claim it is not microcrystalline silica,
larger particle sizes will only grind the silver plating off rather than
polish it off".
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?301386-RF-Roller-inductor-maintenance&p=2271612#post2271612

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com