Re: Topband: Detuning TX Antenna

To: "Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Detuning TX Antenna
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 15:31:40 -0500

The switchbox is a homemade relay box located at the base of the vertical about 100 feet from my shack. One relay adds in a loading coil at the base of the 60' vertical antenna for 160 meters. When the shack switch is turned off, the loading coil is disconnected and the antenna is then tuned for 80 meters - the default position. I don't need to detune on 80 since the re-radiated noise on that band is minimal. Another relay can add/subtract additional inductance to move the resonant point around somewhat on 160 and from 80 to 75.

I built an "on/off" switch on my desk powered by a 12 v power supply that controls the power to the relays at the base of the antenna.

I had planned to add another 12v relay which would just control the voltage from the shack powers supply and it would be controlled by the TVSU. The TVSU would be used to control a relay that would simply turn the power from the shack supply to the desk on/off switch off and on. My plan is to wire the new 12v relay so when I hit the key, the TVSU will result (ultimately) in the relay at the base of the antenna controlling the 160 meter loading coil being activated -adding loading coil so the antenna would be resonant on 160 meters. When I release the key, the loading coil would be disconnected and the antenna detuned (back to the 75/80 default position). The TVSU would make sure the timing is correct

The problem is the speed of the unknown relay types and how well they take repeated cycling. Every relay might add anywhere from 2 to 30 mS of time delay in switching response. This is especially true if something loads the relay coil, like a low impedance or a diode, on relay release. Just adding a diode across a relay coil can slow a relay's release time significantly.

I wasn't expecting a homebrew answer, so I still have no idea what type of relay you have. I don't know relay speed and reliability. I guess the normal mode is closed on transmit and open on receive.

73 Tom