Topband: Windows and ARRL 160 contest

To: 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Windows and ARRL 160 contest
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 07:20:14 -0800
I thought I would share my thoughts about this issue - and also hope that
we can bring this discussion to a close (maybe once and for all?).  It
seems to come up every year after this contest.

Is the rule clear?  Nope.  Will it get fixed?  Probably not.  We just have
to deal with it the best we can.

As others have pointed out - not all contests have to be the same.  If they
were - we would all be operating the CQ WW contest every weekend (the most
popular contest based upon the number of logs received by far).  Each
contest has it's own unique set of rules and participation.

The ARRL 160 contest is pretty much a small event for anyone outside of
North America.  I once operated this from 4U1ITU and there were not many
other Europeans on the band.  It also has "strange" ways of dealing with
"DX" stations that are in the US territories (another thing that will
likely never be "fixed").  KH2 counts the same as a KH6 in this contest.

For better or worse - the contest is what it is.  In the US and Canada - I
will suggest this contest is an excellent first exposure to topband for
many people who read about this contest in their QST - and decide to throw
up a wire - or add some loading coils to their existing wire - and try to
make some contacts.  During non-contest weekends, the band might seem dead
- with the only activity chasing the one or two DX stations who are on.
This is not very useful to someone who would be very excited just to work
someone in the next state.

The ARRL 160 brings the band alive with many big stations listening for
newcomers.  I only worked the contest for a couple of hours - but was
surprised at how many callsigns I worked that are not familiar to me.

The DX window is a place where these people can listen to see if they can
hear DX.  They might not be able to work it - but at least they know where
to listen.  By DX - I would like to think of it as something other than the
48 states or Canada.  Maybe it's 50 states - I really don't know.  Maybe it
depends on what else is on the band.  I certainly would not have an issue
with KL7RA being in the DX window after European sunrise.

So - it isn't perfect - and it isn't like this for any other contest - but
I think we can deal with this situation for two nights out of the year.

73 Tree N6TR