Re: Topband: 160 Test Aurora

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Test Aurora
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 12:23:44 -0500
I did fairly well all considering I had set the alarm for 5AM EST
Saturday to get any gray line contacts and vaguely remember hitting
unsuccessfully the the snooze button & instead turned off the alarm.
As a result I didn't work any AK, BC, MB or NT sections. Those missed
four early morning hours gave me a hit against my game plan.

It's a good thing I checked everything at the antenna site last week
before the contest as some large branches had fallen onto my 160 wire
& another branch bent the base matching coil. That's an ongoing
problem when you have a radial bed & wire antennas in the woods next
to a salt marsh. Lots of rotten limbs falling & trees coming down in
every strong storm. It is what I've got and can't do better here.
Minus the snow you're dealing with, looks like your antenna
conditions are as liable as mine.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> Finished rebuilding my windstorm destroyed Inv-L Sat eve around 6pm
> in the dark headlamp on. Twenty above and warm. Snow and four downed
> trees so had to crawl around to hang new cords and elevated wires.
> Tuned up nice and low at 1830 and heard some `6´s, `7´s, a displaced
> 9, and KH6LC above the S4-5 floor. Good sign. Took a nap.
>
> Big mistake. By 0600 on the Band had died in Fairbanks @ 64
> North...the Aurora overhead was a "Level 7" and that means take 2 big
> ones and go back to bed. The P3 bandscope looked like a nice blue
> waterfall with no falling CW debris. K3 was signal silent. The JA´s
> were chirping on 40 so it wasn´t the station or antenna.
>
> Maybe the Big Stew will be better.
>
> 73, Gary NL7Y

---
is active.