Topband: How much ground independence?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: How much ground independence?
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 14:28:33 -0500
Thanks to all the replies from actual "ground independent loop" antenna users. There are many reduced lot size users who are working a lot of DX and hearing quite well. My questions were to find what precautions were used to achieve hearing rather well. I should have included height above ground, distance from transmit antenna, and many other questions.

Steve, WB6RSE in California near LAX is on a 1/7 acre lot, has a rotatable flag on his roof. The flag is about 25 feet from his transmit tower, yet except when aimed right at his TX antenna, gets 25-30 db f/b. Has worked 203 DXCC countries and 35 zones on TB. It can be done, and many of us would like to know how.

Science is not fixed, it evolves, adding to what is known, changing what is incorrect, taking a different paths.

Thanks again,
73
Bruce-K1FZ