Topband: Isolation of tower to antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Isolation of tower to antenna
From: "Dr. Wolf Ostwald" <df2py@t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 20:00:40 +0100
hi !
for years i ran a shunt fed tower with a 6 el 20m yagi on top as a tx antenna for 160. I made sure that the antenna was well connected to the tower and nothing happened. Instead of trying to find a material that is electrically suficient as well as mechanical, i would simply change the feeding. I can see no reason to decouple the top yagi structure from the tower. At the same time this has hazards in lightning protection too. The extra capacity formed by the Yagi on top enhances the radiators efficiency even further ( if its not already at least a full quarter wave high )
All of this said without knowing all the detail of the installation.
I´d go for a Gamma match , equalize potentials on the top, and be done with it and have no worries about insulation etc.

73 de wolf    df2py