Topband: DX-100 adventure - progress

To: 'top Band' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DX-100 adventure - progress
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 22:26:30 -0500
Hi,

Recently I posted about my DX-100 and an effort to get it usable in time for the Stew Perry. I have made progress and it looks like I'll have it ready to use in time and never mind about the holidays, the holiday mail overload, etc.

I successfully recapped and tested the "low voltage" supply and changed the circuit to choke input. I like doing that and some other hams suggested doing it, too. So I did. The VFO and RF stages - excluding the finals - sound very good on 160 through 40 meters. No chirp shows up at all until I get to 20 meters and there is barely enough chirp to notice if I pay attention. 15 meters and, finally, 10 meters there is noticeable chirp and some drift. I didn't really let it warm up well before I tried those higher bands. I was more interested in the 160 meter operation since that is the immediate goal.

I had to order new caps for the high voltage final amp plate supply. I thought I had suitable caps but mine would have given me only 50 uF with a pair in series. That is NOT enough. I am afraid the new caps will not arrive with enough bench time left to make it for the Stew. So I doubled down on the caps I already have. I built two banks of caps with two caps each. Each set is a series pair of course and the two sets of caps are in parallel to give the needed 100 uF at 900 volt rating. The center connections of the two banks are also connected in parallel so that the bleeder sees them as *ONE* pair of caps in series. The thing is built on a pair of terminal strips with reinforced connection points to accommodate the bleeder and switch wiring that was already in the transmitter. I have it completely fabricated AND mounted in the DX-100. This weekend I'll get to wire it and test it. Hopefully it will be ready to operate. I'll be cleaning up some other messy wiring that previous owners left in there and then put all the screws back in place. A little DeOxit on a few more controls and then the smoke test.

And then... CQ de KU8H.

If the caps don't work out for some reason I can hope the new ones arrive in time. I started taking pictures so maybe I'll finally do some on-line show n tell when I'm done.

73,

Bill  KU8H  aka  Santa Claus