Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues

To: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Digital mode spurious issues
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:13:29 -0500
Well, I certainly have to agree, Tom, if the signal on the desired sideband
is just a single shifting tone. Might get messier if an sudio stage or A/D
is driven into limiting and producing harmonic distortion at audio, I guess.

The entire thing for digital modes was poorly planned. I'm surprised no one objected to the frequency choices (of Europe), because they are technically always going to be a long term problem. The frequency range really could not have been more poorly planned for future long-term band use.

Any digital mode piped into the SSB transmitter system, like it or not, is really SSB modulated. It has all the noise, carrier, and opposite sideband suppression issues, as well as sensitivity to levels. If they transmit 1835-40 using USB on the radio, the opposite sideband falls in the 1832 and upward range. IMD can be anywhere, if it is a multiple tone at the same time mode. Harmonic distortion is upward from the carrier on USB.

Collins got burned by this. They tried running a pure audio tone into the SSB transmitter of the early S line to generate CW. The FCC (back when they did enforcement) starting handing out pink slips left and right to Collins owners. Any carrier, noise, or harmonic distortion at all resulted in an FCC citation, so Collins had to convert transmitters back to a keyed carrier.

Anything converted to RF in a SSB transmitter system really belongs off by itself, well away from other operation. It's really a technical issue that will always exist, because the basic RF generation system or idea is flawed.