Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued

To: "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "'Bill Cromwell'" <wrcromwell@gmail.com>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 13:36:44 -0500
Hi, Bill

I was also going to ask if you have a choke input filter -or if you could
change the PS filter configuration to choke input to help a bit with the HV.

Also, check your line voltage - especially at night when the load on the
electric grid drops. I've seen my 240 VAC  here get up well past 265 volts
at night! Use a trusted, well calibrated volt meter and take some voltage
readings at different  times of day to get a feel for what the line
regulation looks like!  Note that a 10 % increase in line voltage would
increase that HV from 825  VDC to over 900 VDC.  10 % high line is not
really unusual.  Finally, you can check with your local PUC - there are
regulatory limits to how much the AC line is permitted to vary - but I'd
start with the power provider first. Maybe they need to drop your
distribution feeder down a tap at the substation. Excessive voltage is hard
on lots of things around your house besides DX-100s! The utility can cme out
and put a recording voltmeter on your line for a while to see what's going
on, if you complain about excessive line voltage.

GL!
73,
Charlie, K4OTV