Re: Topband: Ends for older Phillystran

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "n2ic@arrl.net" <n2ic@arrl.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ends for older Phillystran
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 17:04:25 +0000
The bar idea would probably significantly reduce the allowable tension on the
cable, similar to what knotting does, due to the force at each "bite point"
weakening the cable. I suppose if the cable was sufficiently oversized this
wouldn't pose a problem, but I'd certainly expect such a clamping method to
effectively reduce the allowable tension significantly below the normal rated
load.

I'm actually a little surprised a dead end / preform isn't supposed to be used
with the straight-strand version of the cable. Those grips work by compression
of the cable they are "grabbing", and it's a fairly even pressure over the
length of the gripped area. If one could be found that was the correct diameter
for the cable being used it might be worth a shot, but I completely agree with
Tom -- TEST ANYTHING YOU TRY BEFORE USING IT FOR REAL!  He's also correct that
dynamic loading is much worse than static loading. Wind causes vibration in
towers and guys and that can cause your clamps  to loosen over time, especially
if they were marginal to begin with.

   -Bill