Re: Topband: To clamp or NOT...that IS the question

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: To clamp or NOT...that IS the question
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 06:24:25 -0500
On 01/18/2014 06:20 AM, N1BUG wrote:
Indeed. I've had problems with ICE 196 receiver protectors for
several years. I assume the intermod is generated by the diodes in
those devices, though I do not know that for a fact. The problem
occurs on nights when propagation is very good both in the AM BC
band and shortwave in the 5-7 MHz range. I get some extremely strong
SW BC stations on good nights. All are well below the threshold but
the combined affect of many signals is too much.  Removing the ICE
196 clears up the intermod, so I am reasonably certain that is where
it is generated. I need to either find another way to protect my
front end or use band pass filters.

Sorry... I should have noted this is using Beverages +/- 600 feet long.

73,
Paul N1BUG