Re: Topband: To clamp or NOT...that IS the question

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: To clamp or NOT...that IS the question
From: mstangelo@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 20:39:37 +0000 (UTC)
When I build a preamp I install the cupped machine pins from an IC socket in
the protection device mounting holes so that I can experiment with different
protective devices and easily replace devices which have been damaged.

If you have IMD from back to back diodes try two or three diodes in series.

Mike N2MS

<snip>

Jim,

Getting directly back to your original question, I built a KD9SV preamp,
and it has clamp diodes included in the design (I did not add them, they
were part of the original design by KD9SV).  Does you KD9SV preamp already
have clamp diodes protecting its input, and if so you have already answered
your own question about adding clamp diodes to protect it (no reason to add
them if you already have them).

<snip>