Re: Topband: One of those times

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: One of those times
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:14:42 -1000
Yes one thing for sure, its a lot nicer and easier to work em when the
click and call crowd does not even know they are on.
I am on every day from somewhere around 1430 to 1700 and spend
99 percent of the time listening.
Sometimes thats not good as the band is open and no one is transmitting,
so it takes a mix of some cqs and lots of listening,
Gives me some hope for FT5Z.. almost same direction and distance.
73 Merv

FB!  Merv!

Reminds me of years ago, when I worked Jacky, 3B8CF from here in NC on the
very first antenna that I ever built for 160 - an inverted L! Seemed that I
was the only one hearing him, although, Jack, N4JJ jumped in and worked him
right after me!  There's a lot to be said for lots of LISTENING!  It seems
to me that it's a lot like fishing!  How much we catch depends a lot on our
"time on the water"! (Too many, I think, want to be "spoon-fed" DX on packet
clusters and internet!) You were there LISTENING when he showed up! FB!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV