Re: Topband: Conductivity of stainless steel hardware

To: Charles Stackhouse <cstack14478@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Conductivity of stainless steel hardware
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:05:50 -0500
Hi Charlie,

This is one area where practice overrules theory. Yes, SS is not the
conductor that copper is, but it's not bad, and since you're posting on the
lowband forum, I presume you're interested in HF. At HF, and at less than
megawatt levels, the environmental virtues of stainless make it perfect for
the applications like yours. The nickel content in stainless is capable of
supporting intermod generation at high powers, but at very low levels, like
80-100 dB down from the signals. At HF, this is a non-issue, I think.

I build all of my beverage boxes and other small outdoor doodads using
10-32 stainless screws and stainless wingnuts and washers- works good,
lasts a long time.

73,

geo - n4ua