Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle

To: "Carl Braun" <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>, "'160'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:07:57 -0500
So, i'm assuming you're suggesting that I drop the gamma arm down to the 67' level and see what the impedance looks like? If so, I'm guessing the series C required to tune would increase in value?

There will be some tap point where the shunt capacitor is not required.

Eliminating the shunt cap will increase bandwidth, reduce voltages, and improve efficiency.

I'm not sure where the point is, but if I were doing it, I would just leave the tap point alone and move a shorting wire to the tower from the shunt wire up and down along the shunt wire and look for 50 ohms J0 when reactance is nulled.