Re: Topband: circular polarization on 160m

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: circular polarization on 160m
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:02:05 -0400

Is there not a built in loss of 3db on both TX and RX with a CP antenna
compared to an Axial mode antenna?  Not that it makes that much
difference on RX but 3db is 3db. Another issue with CP I understand is
the difference between LHCP and RHCP for space communications is
supposed to be infinity for space communications.  I do not know if the
same rules apply for HF with skip involved.  Although I have seen this
on terrestrial UHF paths when the screw sense is reversed and a complete
loss of signal results.  I would also presume that the construction of a
good CP antenna for 160 would be very difficult to perfect.  I have seen
some antennas for AMSAT work attempting to produce a CP type antenna by
have two interlaced yagis, one vertical and the other horizontal, one
space 1/4 wave in front of the other, and  with a quarter wave delay
line at the feed point separating each.  If this could be replicated
between a TB horizontal vertical and a horizontal dipole some distance
away...I just don't know if this would even end up providing a CP wave
front.  If they were far enough apart maybe there would be some
diversity gain./

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ