Re: Topband: DX Summit connection problems

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Summit connection problems
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:54:01 -0500
I use Logic9 for my logging program. DX Summit is one of the default
options within it & it logs into it automatically if selected,
DXScape is the other web based site that is available by default. In
addition it allows you two telnet windows to open and log into as
well; you can have one of the 4 or all 4 connected at the same time.

The way Logic shows entities in the spot log is based on where you
want the DX reported from, in my case I want to see NA spots rather
than SA, EU for example, so I only see spots that were posted from
within NA. I have the alerts set up to alert me when any of the
remaining entities I need appear on the spotting network when posted
from a NA address. I have selected only the entities I need for ATNO
DXCC to be an Alert.

When there is no DXpedetion like FT8ZM on the air, the spots come in
a few times a week as I've only chased CW DXCC and most of the ones
"commonly" available I haven't worked are only SSB or DATA. I have it
set to only display something I need in some way to fill a DXCC
agenda.

Here's a screen print of when the FT8 was being spotted in NA:
http://doctorgary.net/SpotLog.jpg

If the value is red it is unworked. When FT8 came on the value, band
and mode would have all the info in red and I would hear an
announcement and an email would be sent to me. Once I worked it I
stopped the email alerts so as not to plug up my email with dozens of
email alerts. I worked it on all bands CW so it no longer shows when
posted as a CW spot. I've worked it on three bands phone and none
data. Since I haven't received a QSL it remains red as needed but in
this photo it shows its available on 10M phone. When I work it on 10M
phone I will see no alerts but I need it on any band data.

Looking at V85SS at the top: (I worked V8 once, on 10M CW & in 91)
What the spot log means is I have worked it before because the value
V8 is black, it shows red on 20M because I've never worked it there,
the mode is CW but is black meaning I have worked it on CW

What is most helpful to me is this uses my log to tell me what is
available that I need, not just what is out there. This being the
Topband list, I could have it filtered to only show me 160M spots. I
checked off display lock & record lock to take thee photo sao it
wouldn't scroll on me. Normally those are unchecked. If I checked the
"show all" then it would display everything but also too much of what
I've already worked. If I check the alerts button to the right of the
spots button it will show me all the needed DXCC alerts that have
been posted recently and the comment info as well.

I find this to be the most useful system to let me know what I need
and when it is possible for me.

73,

Gary
KA1J