Re: Topband: Still in search of resonance Update 2

To: "'Carl Braun'" <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>, "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Still in search of resonance Update 2
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 00:23:18 -0500
Well, if those 4 discrete tap points are the only ones that you have
available, Carl, you likely won't find one that give that gives you 50 ohms
real. So the best that you can do is pick the one that falls closest to 50
ohms real when  you tune out the series inductive reactance with the
capacitor. Even if the 90' point gives you 68 ohms real, that's not too bad
- about 1.4:1 VSWR. If the 67' tap gives you less than 50 ohms real, you
could add a shunt C back to GND at the base of the tower the and readjust
the series C to only cancel a portion of the inductive reactance, leaving
the remainder to work against the shunt C to form an L-network to transform
the real part up to 50 ohms. By alternating back and forth adjusting the
series and shunt capacitors, you should be able to bring the feedpoint VSWR
to 1:1. Note that whatever the tap point, if the real part of the impedance
is LESS than 50 ohms, a shunt C will be required.

GL,

73,
Charlie, K4OTV