Topband: Low band noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Low band noise
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:09:51 -0500
Thank you for those who emailed information. They basically thought the larger
windmill arrays did not generate much noise. One test, checking all bands, was
from a mobile K3 with a 9 foot whip antenna.  Unless the whip was loaded to 1.8
Mhz it may not pick up much noise at one mile. The most probable windmill
installation noise source is the inverter.

Smaller home/farm  1 phase  type may give off more wideband noise. Some are
using transformer-less inverters.

Noise is ever increasing in many areas. There is a need to monitor noise
sources, and installing more directive receiving antennas.

http://www.solacity.com/connections.htm

Watch the inverter video for more info. Highly informative.
http://www.power-one.com/renewable-energy/products/solar/string-inverters/aurora-uno-single-phase/pvi-30363842-north-america/series

I have no affiliation with any of the companies.
73-Bruce-K1FZ

Getting noise from my NW direction. Does not seem to be local. Started
wondering what, at distance,  could be causing it. At times it seems to have a
rhythm like a motor.

There are a lot of power generating wind mills showing up.  Checking through
Google, they generate DC and convert to  3 phase AC it with an inverter. The
frequency and phase of the inverter is controlled with a sample from the power
grid.

Bruce-K1FZ
www.qsl.net/k1fz/beveragenotes.html
www.qsl.net/k1fz/pennantnotes.html