Re: Topband: AM broadcast tower and 160m dxpedition

To: "'DALE LONG'" <dale.long@prodigy.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: AM broadcast tower and 160m dxpedition
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:20:40 -0500
I recently did almost this same project in Tortola, BVI (VP2V) 4 weeks ago.
I have been helping as a consultant to ZBVI for the past 20 years.

I was part of the team that installed a new 300 ft tower for ZBVI when the
old tower came down due to an accident with a guy wire.

The station goes off the air at 10 PM so I was able to use it for a few
hours on 160 during the CQWW 160 CW contest in late January.

I designed the tower feed system as a slant wire (shunt feed) for AM
broadcast service so that no base insulator is needed (helps with horrible
lightning issues). Then I used a T network to match the slant wire to insure
the proper bandwidth of the match and for long term stability.

I can bypass the T network and then with a simple L network I was able to
match the tower (slant wire) perfectly for 160 meters.

The TX was great - RX not so much (very high noise level).

73,
Tim
VP2V/K3LR