Re: Topband: A CFL Bulb Issue

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: A CFL Bulb Issue
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:46:06 -0400
With the utility rates in the Virgin islands now at .52 per KWh I have started to use candles for dinner and its nice..... Out side on the house and even on beverage supports, so I can find them at night, I used the solar powered single self contained unit 3 and 8 white light led rechargables. I have the even detachable so when I want more light in the house I just bring a few in. On eBay they sell out of China (where else?) for about $20 for a pack of four but they really work. Here in the VI so many people are leaving the grid, especially businesses so they can afford to stay open. All major hotels produce their own power on St. Croix and hundreds of homes are using solar panels and some wind turbines, either full time or part time.However the government owned power system is now proposing to support the imposition of an "off the grid tax" for previous customers that leave the grid the "depleting their revenues stream to pay for bonds which paid for past profligate spending. It is sort of strange but the same government that runs spots on the radio the tell consumers to conserve energy now wants to charge you a tax for doing so.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ